Salini Impregilo, Lane Construction win $580m US tunnel contract

July 12, 2017 – A joint venture of Salini Impregilo and The Lane Construction has won a $580m contract to build the Northeast Boundary Tunnel (NEBT) project in Washington, DC.

Salini Impregilo owns a 30% stake, while Lane manages the remaining 70% stake in the JV. The contract has been awarded by the District of Columbia Water and Sewer Authority (DC Water).

The NEBT will be constructed as a large, deep sewer tunnel which will boost the capacity of the Columbia’s sewer system, significantly mitigating the frequency, magnitude and duration of sewer flooding and improving the water quality of the Anacostia River.

The NEBT will be 50-160ft below ground and run 27,000ft from just south of Robert F. Kennedy Stadium to the intersection of Rhode Island Avenue NW and 6th Street NW.

During the times of flooding, the tunnel will get flows from the sewer system captured by diversion facilities and convey them to DC Water’s Blue Plains Advanced Wastewater Treatment Plant.

Additionally, the NEBT project will also comprise the construction of ventilation control facilities, storm water inlets and green infrastructure.

Once NEBT is connected to the other Clean Rivers Project tunnels, it will reduce combined sewer overflows to the Anacostia River by 98% and the chance of flooding in the areas it serves from nearly 50% to 7% in any given year.

Construction is expected to start in September 2017 while the project is scheduled to be completed in 2023.

Source:- http://www.worldconstructionnetwork.com/news/salini-impregilo-lane-construction-win-580m-us-tunnel-contract/

0 Comments

    Leave a Comment

    Login

    Welcome! Login in to your account

    Remember me Lost your password?

    Don't have account. Register

    Lost Password

    Register